3.02.2008

Happy Birthday Whitt

We celebrated Whitt's birthday on Saturday. I wont tell his age, but he and Henry are 50 years apart. For the past few years we have gone bowling and this year was no exception. The lanes were a bit crowded but we got two together and had tons of fun. We also played games in the arcade and I think the kids enjoyed that more than bowling.

Whitt is the best father in law and I love him tons. I have known him for almost fifteen years and he had always been kind and loving. I know he probably wasn't thrilled with his teenage son having a steady girlfriend but he always made me feel welcome whenever I tagged along. When Jeff and I did get married we lived in Whitt and Shannon's basement for our first four years. I would cook dinner for all of us some nights and he was always grateful for whatever I made.

One of the funniest memories I have of living there was when I was eight months pregnant with Henry. Whitt and Shannon were having the missionaries over for dinner and they invited us up to join them. Whitt and I were the only ones home when the elders arrived and he introduced me as his wife. You should have seen the looks on their faces, it was priceless. He told them he was joking and laughed his great laugh.

Whitt has introduced me to Oak City. A city I love but could never live in. I don't know if I have told him how much I enjoy that little town. I look forward every year to Oak City Days. I love the program in the church. It never fails to make me smile. I love the horse shoe tournament, I could just sit and watch them huck shoes all day. Even though I don't like watermelon, I loved sitting around watching people take pieces from the biggest melon I had ever seen and spitting seeds. I can see why you love that little town so much, it truly is a diamond in the desert.

Whitt is a super grandpa. He loves his grand kids and they love him. He wrestles with them, laughs with them, watches whatever show they want with them, and does magic shows for them. Thank you for loving my kids that means more to me than anything.

I hope this hasn't been to sappy. I am so glad that you are part of my life. Thanks for all you do for me and my family. Thanks for raising such a good son. He is the best part of my life and I know that it is because of you and Shannon that he is who he is.

I love you tons and I hope you have a great time on your trip. Think of your winter hating daughter in law as you bask in the warm Mexican sun.

Here are a few pics of our fun time bowling.







5 comments:

Alesha said...

Awe sad...a tear in the eye. You love making me cry with your posts dont you? I am sad I missed it, I am glad to know with each thing I miss this year that it will be the last I CANT attend. I am glad you love my dad so much, he is too cute not to! I love you guys!

Gina said...

Totally sappy Kirst, but I loved it! Whit is the best!

Giron Family said...

It was great seeing you guys on Sat. We had fun bowling too (well Madi and Hay did anyway). Your kids are getting so big and I must say they are all adorable! Loved the "Ode to Whitt". I mean, who doesn't love the guy???

Anonymous said...

True That! To all of the previous comments. I love my dad and you said it perfectly. You are so lucky to have a wonderful father and a wonderful father in law. WE love your dad too...Pa pa Tim!!! Ha Ha

-- jimmy-- said...

Happy B-day Whitt!
Kirst! you are profound..
Love to read your thoughts. and Oak city doesn't sound as bad as I remember.... -- miss u tons!