I know I have been away for awhile and I don't know if a political post is the best way to re-enter the blogging world but here goes.
It is no secret that I am a conservative. I am a Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh lovin conservative. I hate big government and I wish the politicians in Washington would get out of our lives and let us be. I believe the governments job is to protect the boarders, fix the roads and provide defence. I think Capitalism is what makes this country great and I will always defend big oil and Wal-Mart.
With that being said I want to share my amusing election night story.
I love to watch the returns every year, whether its a presidential year or not. This year no exception. I was alone watching because Jeff was at his bishop appointments. I was tuned into Fox because I am a conservative. I was somewhat disheartened to see Obama up in the Electoral College but I remained optimistic.
Let me pause here and say I was not thrilled with John McCain, but in my opinion his policies were more along my views than Obama's.
I was excited to see the popular vote was close but Obama just kept inching his way ever closer to that magic 270 mark of the Electoral votes. Finally the winner was declared, Obama was the next President of the United States of America. I immediately started to cry and not for the same reason Jesse Jackson and Oprah were crying. I was sad, sad that the most liberal senator in US history had just become president. Sad that his policies are Socialistic and that scares me. But I think most of it came from being four months pregnant. I decide I cant watch his acceptance speech so I grab a magazine and head to the bathtub for a soak. In the meantime Jeff comes home to sobbing wife. I tell him I cant believe Obama has won and that he is going to lead our country down a dangerous path. He assures me things are going to be alright, and to calm down.
Come the next morning things are looking better to me. I realize that we have just made history by electing a black man to the White House. I decide with the help of Glenn Beck that it is my job as an American to support Obama and pray for him. I will support him as long as his decisions don't compromise my values.
We have come a long way as Americans and this is the greatest nation in the world. I hope and pray that Obama will lead with humility and a prayer in his heart. Lets see what the next four years bring.
11 comments:
I'm so glad to hear you say these things. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way!
Oh, Kirstie... I haven't told anyone this... but...
I cried too. Like a freakin' baby. What RATIONAL person wouldn't!?
I believe we are on the same exact page! Thank you for putting it down in words.
And by the way, congrats on the baby! How exciting!
Kirst, you are so cute! I really hope for the best too! Love ya!
Kirst..
isn't it funny that the other side wouldn't say for the good of the Country we need to support McCain if he were to become President? It just goes to show that being Patriotic also means you are conservative...
Hey I did not know you were having another cute baby! Hooray:) Is there anything I can do for you? Look at Obama this way... it is not the end of the world just life as we know it:) But- with his evil plans we will draw closer to God again as a country. It was really wonderful after 911 how we were all OK to accept God again and if he does some of the things he is planning on we will be so low we will have to look up.
I have never been more involved in an election than this year. I hate talk radio, but found myself clinging to it these last few months. Glad that you are back to blogging, I hope this means you are feeling better...at least a little better.
Kirst I love that you are so open about your politics. I love that you are conservitive and that you love this country so much. I feel like you and I pray that we may all be more God fearing and loving people. I ask for the blessings of a loving Heavenly Father to hear our prays and soften hearts namely the new Pres. love ya.
Kirstie!
I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I just stumbled upon you and was so excited!
I miss you guys at Sandy and hope everything is going well!
And by the way, I cried too. I think I might have even broken the TV. ;)
Mandi
i started crying too. the thought of mary and i both being able to quit our jobs so that we can stay at home with calvin was just too overwhelming! and as soon as keith olberman told mary and i that obama had in fact clinched the nomination, we immediately (and i mean immediately) decided we were going to get busy making more babies. all of our problems are over!!! YES WE CAN!!!
Hi Kirst! is that your brother talking lib talk!!!? lol !!!! hope you are feeling ok these days - hope to see you during the holidays. I am coming on the 18th and staying until the 6th or so. Hope to see the work on your basement progress!!! so fun
Post a Comment